Saturday, January 29, 2011

Waste Not: Reusing Pickle Brine

Today, I had the most glorious idea.  What if the pickle juice that I had sitting on my counter could be reused?  Obviously, I am not the first person to have this flash of brilliance.

Just your average pickle.

Some research shows that there are a couple of things to do with it.  It can be added to chicken salad, potato salad, tuna salad, basically any mayonaise-y salad.

Or you can take it, add some salt and pepper and olive oil and have yourself a homemade vinaigrette.

But my favorite idea is reusing the brine to make fresh refrigerator pickles.  It's like getting all the goodness of homemade pickles without any of the work.  And I get to feel good about not wasting that brine!  Win win!

Here's what I'm going to add to mine: onions, fresh garlic, fresh dill, and of course, cucumbers.  Now I just have to wait a few weeks and eat them up.  Pictures to come when they're ready.

If you want more detailed instructions, check out this great site, which includes info on making extra brine, should you need it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment